Dating back to the 80’s, the junk removal industry has been made up of a few major players followed by duplicates of their business models. In an era where technology and computer systems are expanding very rapidly, we wanted to make serious changes to an outdated industry that could use a vigorous approach to innovation. For four years now, we have made it clear that 505-Junk charges junk removal by weight (not by volume) and it is really starting to catch on.
Let Us Start With Why: Transparency
Why did we decide to charge our junk removal by weight, and not by volume? For one reason: transparency. The three components to transparency are openness, accountability, and communication and we have built that into our entire business model. After twenty to thirty years of volume estimates and guesswork, we felt the junk removal and recycling consumer was entitled to a more open approach where they are charged by the pound. The average person may or may not know that junk removal companies actually pay based on the amount of weight at the transfer station. It makes sense, right?
Leveraging Technology for a Better Customer Experience
Here’s how it works:
1. Our lovely clients phone to schedule a pick up. New clients usually ask how we work and we explain the model. They’re happy and our highly trained phone staff offer a weight estimate.
2. We schedule a 2-hour window that works for them.
3. We arrive on time and go over the material. Often our clients like items to be recycled or donated and we love to work with them. It’s all about reducing landfill waste.
4. Our friendly Truck Teams load the material, weigh the material on site, and invoice the client right there. We even print a weight ticket with the “world’s smallest printer.” Cool, right?
5. The clients are happy because they know that they didn’t over pay for junk removal. We dance away happy because our clients are happy. Two groups of happiness is a powerful thing. Ask our Yelp reviewers.
How do we Charge by Weight?
It’s all about the business model and the truck manufacturing. We build all of our trucks from the ground up with specific processes and systems that are regulated by Measurement Canada. They hold us accountable by calibrating each truck and ensuring that they remain calibrated every year. All of our employees go through very systematic training to ensure they know exactly how to service our clients in any situation, whether it is from the office or on site. This reduces any chance of error and allows everyone to keep smiling, such as 505-Junk co-founder and COO, who just so happens to be standing in front of a brand new truck below.
What’s Next for 505-Junk?
We often get asked two questions: Did you patent the truck and are you planning on franchising? Our answer is no. At least not yet. We opted against chasing the patent dream because the entire reason why we built this business model in the first place is based on transparency. To block other companies from duplicating this model would be bad for junk removal consumers worldwide. Think of 505-Junk as the Tesla of junk removal (electric trucks coming soon). Tesla released their patents to the public to change the industry for the good, and that’s exactly what we are doing as well.
Moving on to the second question, we are planning on expanding. Feel free to call it franchising, but we will be expanding with “corporately owned franchises” for now. Think of it as a chain of 505-Junk territories with a mission to create meaningful careers while servicing our beloved clients. In January of 2016, we will be opening up the Fraser Valley territory with Victoria, British Columbia following shortly after.
If you have any questions about 505-Junk, feel free to reach out by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 604-505-5865. You can also join the conversation with us on Twitter @505Junk using our new hashtag #PayByWeight and on Facebook.com/505Junk.